There will always be a problem with high school students and health topics. I have recently had to plan a lesson around the reproductive anatomy of both males and females in a co-ed 11th grade class. Not only is junior year the most stressful for most high school students, but it will lay a lot more onto them when studying a body part that we've been taught to be secretive. I have seen a few ways to ease the tension:
- Let the giggles out
- I have heard from other professionals teaching health that at the beginning of the unit, you just scream the word "penis" and allow students to giggle for a few minutes. Then, you shout the word "vagina" and allow the giggles out for that. Once that is done, the teacher gets serious.
- Explain how you feel
- Sometimes, students don't know how they're supposed to feel. If you explain to them that you are also uncomfortable, it may ease some tension within the students because they realize that many others feel the same way.
- Explain the importance
- Although this may not help emotions, it may help students feel engaged when you express the importance to understand both sexes and the anatomy. Whether this be partners, children, in their profession, or other relationships they will be in. If they know the basic anatomy, they may be able to practice better safe sex, understand later in life how to bear children, or help in understanding of possible health complications that loved ones experience.
I remember this in high school, and everyone was awkward and uncomfortable. There was always a group of kids that would always shout words. It would be funny most of the time because we weren't professional at that age and were just messing around. I feel that it is important to learn anatomy because It's important to learn about the body and mind. Nice job Emmaly!
ReplyDelete